Re: [?] Why should Distros be called as i386 for a 32-bit PC, and as amd64 for a 64-bit PC, when Intel Core PCs are also 64bit systems

On Lu, 15 mar 21, 09:22:26, Susmita/Rajib wrote:

> Thank you very, very much for all your inputs. Please put this thread
> to rest and focus instead of helping seekers who need your support. I
> have had enough information already from the post of The Wanderer.

Lengthy, more or less offtopic threads are sort of a tradition on
debian-user during the freeze, mostly because the level of issues is at
its lowest ;)

> Actually, I would have very much needed your precious inputs, had i a
> plan to write an article on the topic.

Most of the information in this thread isn't quoting any (authoritative)
sources[1], it's probably better to look for other sources for an
article.

> May be, Debian should make a summary of all the information collected
> from here and post an article on its page for a pre-emptive
> clarification on the flavours that Debian is available in, and not let
> the information accumulated here go waste.

For Debian's purposes the information can probably be summarized as a
Frequently Asked Question, like:

    Q: Why is the 64bit x86 architecture named 'amd64' whereas the 32bit
    version is named 'i386'?
    A: Because the AMD64 / x86-64 architecture was introduced by AMD.

    (probably with a link to the corresponding Wikipedia page)

This already exists in some form in at least one place on Debian's
sites, so I'll ask you instead:

    Where should this information be added to be more easily found by
    users less familiar with Debian (and its history)?

[1] Wikipedia generally provides a good introduction to a specific
topic, but it's *not* authoritative. It can be a good start for further
research though.

For Debian's own decisions a good source could be mailing list posts
from Debian Developers at the time announcing the new architecture.

Kind regards,
Andrei