Re: Using Gmail on Debian mailing lists

On Thu 11 Mar 2021 at 14:49:51 (-0400), Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
> El jue, 11 mar 2021 a las 14:30, <rhkramer@gmail.com> escribió:
> > I can live with that ;-)
>
> El jue, 11 mar 2021 a las 14:30, <rhkramer@gmail.com> escribió:
> > Yes that works for me, but I can live with the Spanish, as well.
>
> El jue, 11 mar 2021 a las 14:32 (GMT-4), David Wright
> (<deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>) escribió:[1]
> > One small point: timezones are a great help in making the time relevant.
> > I agree on language, no bother. Hey, we've even had one person using the
> > French Revolutionary Calendar.
>
> Are you talking about this [1].  I wish that Gmail had an option for
> this too, but I don't know
> if there is one, then I had to write it manually.  While at the PC it
> isn't so difficult,
> it becomes a problem when you write from a phone.

Well, I wouldn't sweat over it. When it's no effort, then it does help
to have the timezone, otherwise you can only rely on the date and the
minutes when searching back as someone described.

For myself, it's just a file with
 set attribution="On %{%a %d %b %Y} at %{%H:%M:%S (%z)}, %n wrote:"
in it, and I can forget about it. Unfortunately, not everybody has
it as easy.

> Does it work if I rather put this signature at the end of every message?
>
> --
> Time zone: GMT-4
> Months: Ene = Jan ; Abr = Apr ; Ago = Aug ; Dic = Dec

No need for the months. People rarely post replies to such old messages.
As for inserting it manually, the disadvantage is that it's misleading
when it's wrong. For example, we change clocks in under a week, and it
would be easy to forget this instance of a "clock".

Cheers,
David.