Using Gmail on Debian mailing lists

> While it looks like doing that works ok in Gmail, don't do that
> because it is a lazy user-interface-design decision by Gmail that
> is unpopular here because it actually causes problems for everyone else.
>
> Gmail "conversations" are a thing that exists only in Gmail. They
> are a broken simplification of threads that only compare the Subject
> text and apparently ignore the actual threading of the message.
>
> On Debian mailing lists, always use the Gmail compose window to
> begin a new *thread*, and use Gmail "reply-to-all" to existing messages,
> and also *remove* all individual recipients except the list unless they
> have earlier written that they are not subscribed to the list, because that is
> Debian mailing-list policy.
>
> If you merely change the subject line in Gmail when replying, that does
> *not* create a new thread, because even though it appears that way in Gmail it
> does not appear that way to users of other email software. Sometimes,
> doing that is a good idea when you want to indicate that the thread topic has
> diverged without actually starting a new thread, but you should understand
> that it does not create a new thread for most other people seeing your message.
> In this message for example, the prior Subject has nothing to do with what
> I am writing now, so it is appropriate for me to edit the subject,
> and I have done that.
>
> To see how messages are actually threaded on this list (which Gmail
> does not bother to show you) you can look here:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/03/threads.html
> You should be able to find this message there, and see how it is actually
> still part of the prior thread. Even though it has a different subject and
> to you in Gmail it looks like a different "conversation", to everyone else
> it does not look like that.

Ok, thank you, I saw on the archive that this message is on the same thread,
although Gmail displays it different

I have a question, why should I use "reply to all" instead of "reply", aside that "reply to all" puts the mailing list on copy.
Since I should not send the emails directly to someone,
I still have to delete the "To:" entry, then I just add the mailing list.

Also, I saw that "reply to all" quotes the whole thread.
I would not like to bloat the messages with such big quotes.