Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 at 14:52, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 10 Mar 2021 at 17:45:48 (-0500), Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >     dpkg -S =foo

> Sorry, but we're not all familiar with the construct "=foo"
> as interpreted by zsh, oops, Zsh. Can you elaborate on what
> dpkg itself is being fed by this command line. I searched
> man dpkg   and   man dpkg-query   for = but that didn't help.

It appears to be a Zsh feature, nothing to do with dpkg.
During procrastination, I found this [1]:
'''
The companion of `~' is `=', which again has to occur at the start
of a word or assignment to be special. The remainder of the word
(here the entire remainder, because directory paths aren't useful)
is taken as the name of an external command, and the word is
expanded to the complete path to that command, using $PATH
just as if the command were to be executed:

  % print =ls
  /bin/ls
'''
[1] http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide03.html#l58

So the above dpkg command seems to be the equivalent of
  dpkg -S $(type -p foo)
in Bash.