Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

> I just read this:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
> It seems as a good idea that merge of /usr.
> I was wondering what would happen if some program used filesystem paths
> as its input data for some processing task.  He he, yes, changing status quo
> is not easy

Here's one source of breakage I encountered a few times because of this
/usr merge (which I generally welcome, BTW):

    dpkg -S =foo

this (using the Zsh shell) should give me the name of the Debian package
which provides the command `foo`.  It works well for most commands, but
it fails for `ifconfig` because `ifconfig` was actually installed in
/sbin/ifconfig (but the /usr merge makes this same /sbin directory
available under the name /usr/sbin so Zsh thinks that `ifconfig` comes
from `/usr/sbin/ifconfig` whereas `dpkg` doesn't have any record of
installing a `/usr/sbin/ifconfig` file).

        Stefan