Re: Status update {Re: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems}

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 04:26:06AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 03/10/2021 03:45 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> > > I think there are 2 separate states of the Linkzone may have when attempting
> > > to boot the PC.
> > >
> > > 1. The Linkzone is off but plugged into the PC.
> > >     Boot appeared normal.
> > >
> > > 2. The Linkzone is turned on and I have waited for its indicator lights to
> > > indicate connection to network.
> > >      This time the the screen was looping very quickly repeating that it was
> > > attempting to reset a USB device.
> > >
> > > What log should I look in for such an error message?
> > > I know I've seen description of how to interpret the boot process to gather
> > > information. But where?
> >
> > The boot process has three major stages.
> >
> > 1. POST: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test
> > 2. Bootloader (grub, etc.)
> > 3. Operating System (in this case Debian)
> >
> > In which of the above stages does the boot hang?
>
> In yesterday's case, it was definitely case 3.
> In the case of getting a hang with blank screen I suspect it also was case
> 3, but I wasn't recording detailed symptoms the last time it happened.
>
> I all cases I've heard the beep from POST.
>

> > > I suspect also there is a subset of Case 2 -- The LinkZone had been used to
> > > interact with a website before being plugged into the PC under test.
> >
> > Sorry, can't imagine how a modem can be used to "interact with a web
> > page" without being connected to a PC.
>
> Consider this sequence of events.
> 1. PC and LinkZone powered off
> 2. Turn on PC
> 3. Debian boots normally
> 4. Turn on LinkZone
> 5. Browse a web site
> 6. Shut off PC power leaving LinkZone running on its battery
> 7. Wait
> 8. Turn on PC
> 9. Failure occurs

Consider that the 4G connectivity device from the ISP probably needs to be on
BEFORE the PC connects to it. [I swear we've had almost exactly this message
before in one of the other threads].

The hotspot connects to 4G then serves out DHCP addresses - if you were using
WiFi, you'd get a WiFi connection. The hotspot is probably not meant to be
switched on and off repeatedly but to be used for a peroiod of hours
per session.

1. Turn hotspot on. Check that it is working by using the app and/or
connecting another device and checking connectivity.

2. Boot Debian.

3. Obtain Web connectivity *Profit*

If you're turning the PC on and off with a USB device physically connected,
it's no wonder that things get confused - *especially* if USB enumeration
is unclear as to what sort of device it is.

I note also that you apparently have a cap of 2GB per month: in that situation
I'd not use a netinst to install anything but it does seem a crazily low
data amount for 30 days.

All best, as ever,

Andy C.