Re: Status update {Re: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems}

On 03/09/2021 07:00 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Ma, 09 mar 21, 06:32:33, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/08/2021 10:18 AM, songbird wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:

before chasing down this rabbit hole, see if there is an
upgrade for your current kernel on the debian backports
site (for your processor and distribution type).  i just
had an issue with a new device not being recognized and
updated my kernel (for stretch) and it worked fine after
that.

The more I think about my observed symptoms, it would seem logical to be
kernel related.

If the Linkzone is physically connected when PC is turned on, the boot
process will hang until the Linkzone is disconnected.

Please also provide info like the exact stage of the boot process, any
(error) messages on screen, etc.

I've seen this symptom with a laptop before, though it would hang at the
BIOS stage (it was probably trying to boot from it), while you imply
it's later.

Kind regards,
Andrei

I think there are 2 separate states of the Linkzone may have when attempting to boot the PC.

1. The Linkzone is off but plugged into the PC.
   Boot appeared normal.

2. The Linkzone is turned on and I have waited for its indicator lights to indicate connection to network. This time the the screen was looping very quickly repeating that it was attempting to reset a USB device.

What log should I look in for such an error message?
I know I've seen description of how to interpret the boot process to gather information. But where?

I suspect also there is a subset of Case 2 -- The LinkZone had been used to interact with a website before being plugged into the PC under test.

I recall having seen the "reset USB device" looping message before but sometimes there has just been a blank screen.

HTH