Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 3/8/21 11:39 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
I built homebrew desktops using Antec tower cases and Intel desktop boards
for many years.  The last was based on a Sonata chassis with an included 500
W PSU.  It's very easy to add/ remove drives and has low noise features --
the four internal 3.5" drive bays feature vibration isolation grommets, the
main cooling fan is large diameter with selectable RPM, the PSU fan is speed
controlled, etc..  An Intel single-socket ATX server board and Antec
"silent" tower chassis would be a good starting point.  I would buy a new
chassis, rather than used; so that no parts are missing.

Intel made pretty good motherboards, but they stopped in 2015.

Yes, Intel desktop boards were good products. I put used Intel server board/ CPU/ memory combos into two machines prior to the pandemic and am very pleased with them. Since the pandemic, good parts are hard to find and pricing has become aggressive.

David