Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 04:06:07PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-03-07 at 15:59, deloptes wrote:
>
> > David Christensen wrote:
> >
> >> UEFI started coming into x86 motherboard firmware ~10 years ago, so
> >> a BIOS-only machine is going to be at least that old.  That is okay
> >> for a server, but I would want newer Intel integrated graphics for
> >> a desktop. This implies UEFI firmware.
> >
> > what has the graphic card to do with UEFI?
>
> If you're not using an add-in graphics card, but are relying on
> integrated graphics, then the available graphics will depend on what you
> can get built in to the motherboard.

If you _are_ using add in graphics, then you'll find that the latest cards
effectively tie into UEFI. You may possibly find that attempting to use
legacy/MBR may cause some problems.

> If the motherboard is old enough to not have UEFI, then the integrated
> graphics on that motherboard will be comparably old.
>
> (And some motherboards - particularly server motherboards - may not even
> support add-in graphics cards at all. I wouldn't especially expect that,
> at least not since the demise of the AGP slot, but one never does know.)
>
> > IMO UEFI makes sense when you have notebook with secureboot and probably
> > dual boot with windows.
> > For the home server or PC with Linux only ... IMO it is a waste.
>
> What do you see as being the point / purpose / benefits of UEFI,
> especially in those circumstances where you do think it makes sense?

Late model motherboard may only support UEFI = legacy support is deprecated.

> Because I'm trying to understand the perspective behind your statement,
> and so far not managing very much.

Just my perspective - all best - Andy C.