Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 2021-03-07 at 15:59, deloptes wrote:

> David Christensen wrote:
>
>> UEFI started coming into x86 motherboard firmware ~10 years ago, so
>> a BIOS-only machine is going to be at least that old.  That is okay
>> for a server, but I would want newer Intel integrated graphics for
>> a desktop. This implies UEFI firmware.
>
> what has the graphic card to do with UEFI?

If you're not using an add-in graphics card, but are relying on
integrated graphics, then the available graphics will depend on what you
can get built in to the motherboard.

If the motherboard is old enough to not have UEFI, then the integrated
graphics on that motherboard will be comparably old.

(And some motherboards - particularly server motherboards - may not even
support add-in graphics cards at all. I wouldn't especially expect that,
at least not since the demise of the AGP slot, but one never does know.)

> IMO UEFI makes sense when you have notebook with secureboot and probably
> dual boot with windows.
> For the home server or PC with Linux only ... IMO it is a waste.

What do you see as being the point / purpose / benefits of UEFI,
especially in those circumstances where you do think it makes sense?

Because I'm trying to understand the perspective behind your statement,
and so far not managing very much.

--
   The Wanderer