Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

On 2021-03-07 1:06 p.m., songbird wrote:

   apparently Gigabyte has/had some strange ideas about UEFI.
sadly i didn't know this and couldn't shop other than through
the phone line talking to someone so i had to rely upon them
selecting a motherboard for me.  don't really want to sent it
back either.

I have two Gigabyte m/b's I've been using for some time and only recently got things, sort of, figured out. Here are a few suggestions and I hope they work for your m/b:

- disablbe IOMMU support (more on this in a moment)
- specify "UEFI and Legacy" for "Boot Mode Selection"
- specify "Legacy first" for "Storage Boot Option Control"
- specify "Legacy OPROM" for "Other PCI Device ROM Priority"
	 - though this will depend on your installed hardware
- I have switched "SATA mode selection" to "AHCI" instead of "IDE"
	- your choice

- If you decide to _not_ use EFI, __ALWAYS_ go into the boot menu to select the BIOS mode boot for the USB stick you are using.

- Once in the Debian installer boot menu:
	- in BIOS mode press the "TAB" key (I __SO__ wish I had found
	  out about this months ago)
		- add the following to the "linux" command line:
			iommu=soft
		- if you are going to create a raid array (mine is
		  raid5) also add this to the "linux" line:
			rootdelay=10
		- press the <ENTER> key
	- if you choose EFI boot mode, edit the install command line as
		above

Until I started using the above I couldn't get any of the USB ports to function and the raid array to come up properly.

YMMV.

--
Regards,

John Boxall