Re: <Solved> Re: The best way to install inkscape 1.0 on Debian stable

On 3/6/21 11:09 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 05 March 2021 20:43:10 A_Man_Without_Clue wrote:

>>> Which works, but I just now looked at .profile, and found that when
>>> I looked at my $PATH, AppImage was not being added. I had several
>>> months ago, created a $HOME/AppImages directory to store them in.
>>>
>>> It worked well for that, but wasn't being added to my $PATH. Seem
>>> like it might be handy if it was.
>>>
>>> It was easier to add the missing 's' those two places in my .profile
>>> than it was to fix all the links that would need to be fixed as I
>>> have plural AppImages in that location now..
>>>
>>> Now any bash shell that doesn't have the right $PATH seems to be
>>> fixable by a ". $HOME/.profile".
>>>
>>> Those of you with multiple users might want to become root and fix
>>> the copy in /etc/skel so new users are also blessed. But you'll need
>>> to add the whole if/fi stanza to it. It was missing in my copy here.
>>> And I just checked a buster install, which didn't have it.
>>>
>>> Was there a valid reason its not? Or is the idea too new?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>>
>> Well, thanks all.
>> I have tried appimage for the first time, it launched but obviously
>> there is something wrong with my system other than inkscape itself, so
>> I have to figure out what that is first.
>>
> You are correct, as an appimage, it fails to open anything, logging this
> to the konsole window as it dies:
> gene@coyote:~$ inkscape
> Setting _INKSCAPE_GC=disable as a workaround for broken libgc
> Run experimental bundle that bundles everything
>
> (process:1082): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:50:28.589: Locale not supported by C
> library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>
> (here I clicked on the open button)
>
> (org.inkscape.Inkscape:1082): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 20:51:17.953: Settings
> schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' does not contain a key
> named 'show-type-column'
> Trace/breakpoint trap
> gene@coyote:~$
>
> So while this thread may be solved, now we have a new problem. Anybody
> have a clue?   Sounds like my gtk is too old, (this is still stretch)
> but its supposed to be an AppImage. I don't believe it qualifies for
> that label, so I'd fuss at the inkscape folks. But I don't have a dog in
> this fight, and a 1920x1040 screen full of mailing lists already.
>
>> For now, I mark this thread as "Solved".
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> A Man Without any Clue
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Ok,

I tried to install the flatpak for the first time and it works.

I do not know what is the deal with the faltpak, but I just followed the
instruction t o install and run and seems it is running without any
problems.

I was about to update the Flacon and found there is something wrong with
their release key so was searching the solution. Flacon also provide
faltpak version and it says that is the way they recommend (Now, is that
really true?) to install packages so I gave it to try.

A.M.W.C.