Re: <Solved> Re: The best way to install inkscape 1.0 on Debian stable

On Friday 05 March 2021 20:43:10 A_Man_Without_Clue wrote:

> On 3/5/21 10:58 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> They provide appimage, just download and run it.
> >
> > Which works, but I just now looked at .profile, and found that when
> > I looked at my $PATH, AppImage was not being added. I had several
> > months ago, created a $HOME/AppImages directory to store them in.
> >
> > It worked well for that, but wasn't being added to my $PATH. Seem
> > like it might be handy if it was.
> >
> > It was easier to add the missing 's' those two places in my .profile
> > than it was to fix all the links that would need to be fixed as I
> > have plural AppImages in that location now..
> >
> > Now any bash shell that doesn't have the right $PATH seems to be
> > fixable by a ". $HOME/.profile".
> >
> > Those of you with multiple users might want to become root and fix
> > the copy in /etc/skel so new users are also blessed. But you'll need
> > to add the whole if/fi stanza to it. It was missing in my copy here.
> > And I just checked a buster install, which didn't have it.
> >
> > Was there a valid reason its not? Or is the idea too new?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Well, thanks all.
> I have tried appimage for the first time, it launched but obviously
> there is something wrong with my system other than inkscape itself, so
> I have to figure out what that is first.

You are correct, as an appimage, it fails to open anything, logging this
to the konsole window as it dies:
gene@coyote:~$ inkscape
Setting _INKSCAPE_GC=disable as a workaround for broken libgc
Run experimental bundle that bundles everything

(process:1082): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:50:28.589: Locale not supported by C
library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(here I clicked on the open button)

(org.inkscape.Inkscape:1082): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 20:51:17.953: Settings
schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' does not contain a key
named 'show-type-column'
Trace/breakpoint trap
gene@coyote:~$

So while this thread may be solved, now we have a new problem. Anybody
have a clue?   Sounds like my gtk is too old, (this is still stretch)
but its supposed to be an AppImage. I don't believe it qualifies for
that label, so I'd fuss at the inkscape folks. But I don't have a dog in
this fight, and a 1920x1040 screen full of mailing lists already.

> For now, I mark this thread as "Solved".
>
> Thank you.
>
> A Man Without any Clue

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)