Re: Non-free firmware [was: Debian install Question]

Brian wrote:
>On Thu 04 Mar 2021 at 11:40:00 -0600, David Wright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 03 Mar 2021 at 10:36:42 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > It would be nicer if there was some person or group that tried to vet them, or
>> > maybe even suggesting that something like a requirement that at least one
>> > other person attest that an installation image worked for them (on the target
>> > hardware).
>>
>> AIUI the Debian Install System Team build the Debian installer, and
>
>That's certainly correct. The effort put into this deserves to be better
>appreciated. They provide a free installer of high quality.
>
>> the aforementioned Debian Images Team put it into the unofficial
>> images, along with some extra .debs and a couple of Packages files.
>> So I'm not sure I understand exactly what this person/group would
>> be expected to vet.
>
>I am less sure that the Debian Images Team interact wih unofficial.
>I'd be inclined to say that the conribution in unofficial is from a
>DD, who may or not be part of the installer team. It is "unofficail"
>after all.

Time to set this straight, I think...

I'm the team lead and main developer in the Debian Images Team (aka
debian-cd), and I have been for many years now. *I* did the work to
add the unofficial images that include non-free firmware. They're
produced on the same machine as our official images, using the same
software to build them. There's just some small config tweaks, that's
all.

In our team, we are ~always looking for more people to help, both for
testing and development. We're a small group of volunteers, and we're
all also busy doing other things in Debian too. This is the pattern
for most Debian developers, in fact....

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane