Re: Non-free firmware [was: Debian install Question]

On Wed 03 Mar 2021 at 10:36:42 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 02, 2021 10:01:09 PM David Wright wrote:

Brian wrote: '"+1" for what? Advertising each and every non-Debian
installer that comes along and is uploaded to unofficial?'

> > I was under the impression that "The Debian Images Team is a small
> > team of people working on creating, testing and distributing Debian
> > images for [us]", whereas you seem to be describing something like
> > a wiki where any Tom, Dick or Harry dumps their cobbled together
> > installer.
>
> Well, until and unless some person or group tries to vet those Debian
> installation images, that may be the best that can be done.

You cut the context. They wouldn't be "Debian installation images",
but "non-Debian installers", as quoted above.

I don't want non-Debian installers on cdimage.debian.org, official
or unofficial. Do bear in mind that the debian-installer in the
official image is the same debian-installer as in the unofficial
image. The latter image just contains some extra files, almost
all of which originate from the kernel team or Debian.

What I did suggest go into a wiki was the *method* of extracting
firmware from a particular driver. I notice that there is already
one fwcutter in my unofficial image (for Broadcom B54xx), but
I don't know how it works, nor whether it works in the same way
as one for the p54usb would.

> It would be nicer if there was some person or group that tried to vet them, or
> maybe even suggesting that something like a requirement that at least one
> other person attest that an installation image worked for them (on the target
> hardware).

AIUI the Debian Install System Team build the Debian installer, and
the aforementioned Debian Images Team put it into the unofficial
images, along with some extra .debs and a couple of Packages files.
So I'm not sure I understand exactly what this person/group would
be expected to vet.

Cheers,
David.