OT: Bathroom scales (was: Re: Trusting trust [was: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems])

Hey, bathroom scales are something (I think) I am qualified to talk about, at
least from the POV of a user ;-)

On Thursday, March 04, 2021 10:05:29 AM Joe wrote:
> On a rather smaller scale, my electronic bathroom scale has a feature
> whereby if a person gets back onto the scale within thirty seconds of
> the display blanking, *exactly* the same weight is reported.

Mine seems a little different -- it seems even if I weigh myself the next week
and my weight is within a few (for some value of few) tenths of the previous
weight, my previous weight is reported.  To get a valid weight, I have to do
something like hold something heavy (a few pounds) so my weight is
significantly different, wait until that weight is "registered", then set the
weight down and re-weigh myself.

> If more
> than thirty seconds elapse, then a slightly different weight will often
> result, as expected. I would assume that if the weight of the repeat
> user was more than a certain amount different from the first user, a
> second genuine weight would be shown.

As described above, this part works on my scale.

> I *know* this a deliberate
> feature of the software used, I don't have to see the code, and I don't
> have to be told whether it is a bug accidentally introduced. But even
> the manufacturing company's MD/CEO may not know about it.

I agree <not that anyone needs my agreement> ;-)