Re: Installation problems

On 03/03/2021 03:53 PM, Joe wrote:
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 13:38:20 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

On 3/3/21 7:36 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/03/2021 08:35 AM, David Christensen wrote:
On 3/3/21 1:24 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
2. I'm pushing at my data cap {including unused from previous
months}.

Have you considered setting up a local package proxy server?  I
used approx(8) in the past, and believe there are other choices:

      https://packages.debian.org/buster/approx

I don't have a LAN of _any_ description. But do have plentiful disk
space. Might I be able to use something like apt-offline?

This is related to my recent reply to a fork of this thread.  You
want a LAN.  The residential gateways provided by internet service
providers typically include Wi-Fi and 4 Gigabit ports, which is
sufficient for a small LAN.

I think 90% of the OP's problems stem from the fact that he does not
have good Internet service.

I'm not aware of any germane issue with my internet service, nor with my ISP.

In fact, I get the impression of dial-up.

I had only dial-up until about a decade ago. Still remember using an acoustic coupler in the 70's ;/

I would expect that if he was able to acquire good Internet
connectivity, the cost would be far outweighed by the saving in IT
unpleasantness, and he would do so, and that therefore there is some
impediment.

My universe consists of:
  1. myself.
  2. a laptop onto which I wish to install Debian using a netinst.iso .
  3. an Alcatel Linkzone sold me by T-Mobile, my ISP.
     T-Mobile erroneously ASSUMES that *all* customers will use it as a
     WiFi Hotspot to create a LAN of up to 15 devices.
     I, however, disable the WiFi as that function has *NO* value to me.
  4. Debian, absent *ANY* non-free drivers, which is slightly schizoid
     in that:
     a. it will happily connect to internet if it was installed from an
        image of DVD1.
     b. it fails to install completely if using the netinst.iso .
  5. the internet.