Re: Deb10 installer can't install grub

General update on my situation:

Just before knocking off for the day, I tried telling the installer to
finish up without installing a boot loader, then used the netinst USB
stick as a rescue disk to boot my installed system.  From there, I was
able to use the regular grub-install program (instead of the install
environment's grub-installer script).

grub-install ran with no errors and I now have grub in the (separate,
non-RAIDed) EFI partitions of both nvme drives... but it's still not
directly bootable.  Trying to boot directly from nvme drops me into a
grub command line.

Thinking that this may be an initrd or similar issue, I tried
reinstalling the kernel image and grub-efi-amd64 packages, so that their
postinst scripts would run and rebuild initrd and reinstall grub to the
drives, but that had no effect.  Still just getting the grub shell when
I boot from nvme.

Any tips on making use of the grub shell to make further progress, such
as getting the system to boot in non-rescue mode (i.e., not chrooted
from the installer)?  The help information available in the grub shell
itself isn't terribly useful because it scrolls off the screen with no
(obvious) pager or scrollback buffer.

Alternately, suggestions for things I can try in the chroot environment
would also be good, since that's considerably less restrictive than the
installer environment I was trying to work within yesterday.

I guess the most obvious explanation for the current grub issues is that
grub isn't smart enough to boot an mdadm filesystem directly and I need
to repartition with a non-RAID /boot, but I don't consider that a
desirable solution, since it would then leave me with no /boot if the
device holding that partition dies.

(No new text below this point, just my original post for context.)

--
Dave Sherohman