Re: Non-free firmware [was: Debian install Question]

On 2021-03-02 23:29, Brian wrote:
On Tue 02 Mar 2021 at 16:19:45 -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, March 02, 2021 02:55:08 PM Brian wrote:
> On Mon 01 Mar 2021 at 08:13:13 -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 28, 2021 12:03:31 PM Celejar wrote:
> > > "Many wireless network cards (and even some wired ones) require
> > > non-free firmware to function properly. This firmware is not included
> > > in the standard installation images, due to Debian's free software
> > > ideals. If the network hardware your installation will rely upon
> > > requires such firmware, you may consider using the alternate non-free
> > > installation images available here."
> >
> > +1
>
> "+1" for what? Advertising each and every non-Debian installer that
> comes along and is uploaded to unofficial?

No. Providing a reasonable explanatory text about why some other installer
may be required and a link to a place where you can find one or more.

My installer is aimed at users with an adapter that uses the p54usb
driver. It requires firmware that needs to be extracted from the device
and there aren't any such files in the non-free archive. I imagine there
are other similar devices.

I can easlily provide explanatory text about why my installer is needed
and why it would benefit users. Would it be ok to have it in unofficial
as a non-Debian installer?

Just a thought!

The suggestion somebody made of having a tethered phone plugged into USB in case non-free drivers are required for network after installation seemed like a good one.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31