Re: Deb10 installer can't install grub

On 2021-03-02 at 09:01, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 07:54:01AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:

>> Then you go to the mdadm setup and create MDADM RAID1 devices
>> out of each pair of boot, root and swap.
>
> RAID Device #1 is 1.9 TB, ext4fs, and set to mount on /
> RAID Device #2 is 2.0 GB, ESP, and bootable

So the EFI partitions themselves are also RAIDed? I wouldn't have
expected that to work.

>> After install to those RAID1 devices, grub will want to install.
>> Do that to the boot sector of /dev/nvme0n1, and then again to
>> the boot sector of /dev/nvme1n1.
>
> ...and this is where it dies.  I'm now in the text-mode "expert
> install", and there is no option to manually specify a partition to
> install GRUB on, only a yes/no "Force GRUB installation to the EFI
> removable media path?" prompt.  Regardless of which answer I choose, I
> get "Unable to install GRUB in dummy" and syslog records "failed to get
> canonical path of /dev/md2".
>
> I also tried dropping to a shell and manually running `grub-installer
> /dev/nvme0n1` and got the error "ls: /dev/nvme0n1/proc: Not a directory"
> Manually running grub-installer for /dev/md2 and /dev/nvme1n1
> (unsurprisingly) produced similar results.

Is grub-installer specific to the Debian installer environment? I don't
find it at a glance in my installed system, or with 'apt-file search'; I
do find grub-install, which is a binary (where the error you quote seems
to indicate a script), and is what I seem to recall having used for the
manual installation of GRUB that finally got my current machine working
with a RAIDed boot-drive pair all those years ago. (Albeit not with EFI
boot partitioning, so that may not be directly comparable.)

If grub-installer is a script and is the correct thing to use, the first
thing I'd be inclined to do in your place is to examine that script and
see what it's trying to do at the point of the error, so that I can
figure out what it expects as input and how I can potentially try to
provide that.

--
   The Wanderer