Re: Deb10 installer can't install grub

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 07:54:01AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> In the installer, you want expert mode. Does the disk
> partitioner recognize both nvme0n1 and nvme1n1 ?

Yes.  The list of disks shown in the partitioner is currently:

RAID device #1
RAID device #2
/dev/nvme0n1
/dev/nvme1n1
SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda) - the USB stick I booted from
SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sdb) - the first storage drive
... the other seven storage drives ...

> You'll want to create the following partitions on each,
> identically:
>
> 1 efi - type efi
> 2 boot (or boot/root) - type MDADM volume
> 3 root, if using separate boot - type MDADM volume
> 4 swap - type MDADM volume

Partitioning is identical on both nvme drives, consisting of:

1.0   MB  free space
2.0   GB  ESP (bootable)
8.0   GB  swap
1.9   TB  RAID physical device
331.8 kB  free space

> Then you go to the mdadm setup and create MDADM RAID1 devices
> out of each pair of boot, root and swap.

RAID Device #1 is 1.9 TB, ext4fs, and set to mount on /
RAID Device #2 is 2.0 GB, ESP, and bootable

> After install to those RAID1 devices, grub will want to install.
> Do that to the boot sector of /dev/nvme0n1, and then again to
> the boot sector of /dev/nvme1n1.

...and this is where it dies.  I'm now in the text-mode "expert
install", and there is no option to manually specify a partition to
install GRUB on, only a yes/no "Force GRUB installation to the EFI
removable media path?" prompt.  Regardless of which answer I choose, I
get "Unable to install GRUB in dummy" and syslog records "failed to get
canonical path of /dev/md2".

I also tried dropping to a shell and manually running `grub-installer
/dev/nvme0n1` and got the error "ls: /dev/nvme0n1/proc: Not a directory"
Manually running grub-installer for /dev/md2 and /dev/nvme1n1
(unsurprisingly) produced similar results.

--
Dave Sherohman