Re: is it possible to add a secondary disk to an existing debian systems and install programs to the secondary disk

Charles Curley (charlescurley@charlescurley.com) wrote:
> I also made the mistake of figuring that getting lvs installed would
> help solve the problem. I later realized that getting lvs installed
> would be irrelevant: the fact that it is not installed tells us what
> we needed to know: M. Ozlem isn't running LVM, so the solution to the
> problem is not simply to expand the current volume group (VG) onto the
> new hard drive. There is no current VG to expand.
>
> So where do we go from here?

Yes, all of that is true and useful.

The real problem, though, is that the OP apparently *does not have* a
Debian installation at all.  They're just sticking a Live USB thingy
into a computer and running Debian from that.  Debian is not installed
on their computer, and they've stated that they have no intention of
installing it on their computer -- at least not on the current hard
drive which is dedicated to Microsoft Windows.

Once we learned that, I pretty much stopped paying attention to anything
else they said.

I'm guessing that their goal is to keep booting from their Live USB
thingy, but to use a second hard drive (which does not exist yet) as
some sort of auxiliary storage that will magically hold whatever they
want to install.

I might suggest that a *better* goal would be to install Debian on the
new hard drive (once it exists), and stop booting the Live system.