Re: Got a machine name problem

On Tue 23 Feb 2021 at 20:21:41 (-0600), Tom Browder wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 19:36 David Wright wrote:

> David, you got me. I put those lines in years ago (on some person's
> recommendation), while I was still running pre-Debian 4 (probably Redhat in
> the box days).
>
> It works and that's all I can say.

Sorry, I didn't spot it was part of your quote because of gene in
the second line. Using RedHat might explain the localhost.localdomain,
but not the addition of .com. AIUI RedHat's addition of
localhost.localdomain was the main reason that Debian inserted
it, only to remove it again. I think localhost, on its own,
has been recommended for years. RFC 1912 dates from 1996.

Following the addition, there was a discussion on devel,
which I understood to conclude with the sentiments in
and its removal.

On Tue 23 Feb 2021 at 17:55:40 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:

> Changing the hostname on a Debian system is a good way to gain an
> appreciation for DRY:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_repeat_yourself
>
> I see that several readers have already respond with pieces of the
> following.  You might want to check the whole shopping list:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Hostname
>
> If and when you get tired of looking for needles in the haystack,
> and/or you find them inside binary files that you dare not edit, you
> may realize that your best bet is to backup, wipe, reinstall with the
> new hostname, and restore.  Or, you could just do that first and
> forget about searching the haystack.

A little OTT, but if that's the case, then all the more reason to read
RFC 1178 *before* you name the machine at all, and never change it.
Of course, you can always rotate that to 8117 if you're intensely private.

Cheers,
David.