Re: Got a machine name problem

On Tuesday 23 February 2021 20:35:54 David Wright wrote:

> On Tue 23 Feb 2021 at 20:05:11 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Hey, Gene.  I usually have to fiddle around a little, but I've
> > > always had success on Debian this way (as root):
> > >
> > >     # hostname TLM
> > >
> > >    edit /etc/hostname and set the desired name to TLM if it's not
> > > already changed
> > >
> > > I also edit /etc/hosts and make the first couple of lines look
> > > like this:
> > >
> > >     127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain.com   localhost
> > >     127.0.1.1 TLM.geneslinuxbox.net        TLM
> >
> > The first line is std here.
> >
> > Why should it have the 2nd one?
>
> If some software wants to know the IP address of TLM before the
> network is up, there's no point in handing it 192.168.M.N,
> so you use a loopback address to itself.
>
> However, putting TLM on the first line can apparently make
> localhost.localdomain into the canonical name of the system,
> which is probably not what you want.
>
> BTW I don't know where your .com came from in the first line.

Not my first line, thats from someone elses reply.
Actually, the domain name here is sick bird out on the net, but to linux
its just a unique text string. I have known some of the smarter animals
we share this planet with, and have witnessed horses that had been to
school, and watching one of them work one Sunday morning certainly was
an education. He knew what his job was with or without a saddle warmer
on board, and he understood his job was easier as a 900 lb quarterhorse
without 235 lbs of Bobby in the saddle, so the rest of the morning all
Bobby had to do was look at a calf that needed branded and vaccinated
(my job was running the black leg sringe) and that horse would go get
that calf and run it into Bobby's waiting loop for the takedown. And
I've met a sorta tame coyote that was easily the smartest looks like a
dog, critter ever. Lady was picky who she was friends with, but she
could also do simple math by barking the number of the answer times.

So my local domainname is coyote.den. Sometimes its unreal how you
remember such details 40+ years later. Lets just say its been quite a
ride the last 80 some years.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett