Re: Got a machine name problem

On 2021-02-23 09:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I have been working on a lower priority project, replacing some atom
powered machines with i5 powered Dells. Installing buster but something
is overriding my efforts to rename the machine after the install because
I'd like to replace "lathe" with "TLM" for The Little Monster.

Nothing I do survives a reboot, so what do I do to actually rename the
machine and make it stick? Hopefully without losiing the networking
which I don't have after the last reboot, probably because of the
current volatility of interface names.

Changing the hostname on a Debian system is a good way to gain an appreciation for DRY:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_repeat_yourself

I see that several readers have already respond with pieces of the following. You might want to check the whole shopping list:

https://wiki.debian.org/Hostname

If and when you get tired of looking for needles in the haystack, and/or you find them inside binary files that you dare not edit, you may realize that your best bet is to backup, wipe, reinstall with the new hostname, and restore. Or, you could just do that first and forget about searching the haystack.

David