Re: missing memory and the mystery of MTRRs

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 14 feb 21, 12:22:25, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> > We had a power outage the other day, and when I tried to restart the
> > machine it would get past the Grub screen, then sit there forever with
> > a screen that was blank except for a blinking cursor.  It took about
> > half a dozen tries before it finally continued the boot process from
> > there.  I seem to recall that this happened last time we had a power
> > outage too.  For now I think I'll just keep my backups current, and
> > come the day it decides not to boot anymore I'll just replace it.
>
> Can you reproduce this by powering off and disconnecting the mains?
>
> You could try replacing the BIOS battery.

Indeed.  It would explain weird BIOS settings creeping in (sometimes not
visible on BIOS menus), and causing weird malfunctions.

Replacing the NVRAM battery and a full BIOS settings reset (which will
clean up the entire config nvram even if the BIOS build does not expose
some settings as menus) typically fixes these.

--
  Henrique Holschuh