Re: missing memory and the mystery of MTRRs

[Sorry about the lack of threading - I read this list via its Usenet group so I can't reply to the list.]

On Sun Feb 14 11:58:31 2021 "Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat Feb 13 16:44:34 2021 Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@surfnaked.ca> wrote:
>
>> [    0.012080] WARNING: BIOS bug: CPU MTRRs don't cover all of
>> memory, losing 4800MB of RAM.

<snip>

>> Is there some sort of HOWTO that covers this stuff?  Where do I go
>> from here?
>
> Even if there is a "HOWTO" to learn some information, are you capable
> of unpacking, disassembling and patching BIOS of your motherboard and
> reassemble working image of it to flash into ROM?

I was afraid it might come down to that.

> I suggest you to fiddle with BIOS settings first. Search for anything
> that looks like memory related, like "Memory Hole", or something.
> If this trial and error approach won't help, you can update your BIOS
> as a last resort.
> Since your motherboard is pretty old, and Intel has dropped all
> support for Legacy products, you can't download BIOS updates from
> Intel official source anymore. [1]
> But you can still find them on archive sites. [2] I can't vouch for
> this  site, but it looks like genuine BIOS update from Intel.
> I have to warn you about security risks, because there could be a
> small possibility, it was patched with malware, but considering this
> BIOS is for an ancient hardware I have my doubts and personally I
> would take the risk.
> And besides, there are no other options.

Well, there is one other option: replace the motherboard.  Given that
it's becoming increasingly cranky on boot, that might be the way to go.
We had a power outage the other day, and when I tried to restart the
machine it would get past the Grub screen, then sit there forever with
a screen that was blank except for a blinking cursor.  It took about
half a dozen tries before it finally continued the boot process from
there.  I seem to recall that this happened last time we had a power
outage too.  For now I think I'll just keep my backups current, and
come the day it decides not to boot anymore I'll just replace it.

Thanks for the hints.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.