Re: Why is gvfsd-metadata my top task in top -- is it a problem, and what should I do if it is.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:58:10AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On my Wheezy system, I've noticed that for the past 2 or 3 days, gvfsd-
> metadata has been the top running task when I check with top.
>
> Comments:
>
>    * I've never seen that before (I've never even noticed that I had such as
> task running (I didn't look for it, but I didn't see it)
>
>    * I did a little googling to see what it is / does, it seems to have
> something to do (didn't read thoroughly or completely) to do with file access,
> maybe starting with GNOME based files, but maybe also other files.
>
>    * I'm running Wheezy (Debian 7.n, up-to-date (as of when Wheezy stopped
> being updated), with KDE (3.n), and I'm not ready to give up the version of
> kmail there (which does not use Akonadi (sp?).  (I am aware of the Trinity
> system that continues to support KDE 3.n, and, if I have to give up on Debian,
> I would install Trinity on this system).

Potentially stop there and take the time to disconnect the machine from the
Internet. You have NO security support, particularly, and no means of getting
fixes for problems.

Please DON'T run software beyond it's security support. It may mean nothing to
you but if your computer were to be compromised by a well-known security
problem, who knows what it might be used for - it's certainly no longer under
your control. Any problems you are experiencing now are almnost certainly
beyond reasonably instant memory recall as to what they might be and
certainly beyond fixing.

EOL (End of life) was more or less two years eight months ago: please consider upgrading
to at least Debian 10

All the best,

Andy C.