Re: Flash Drive suddenly read only?

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 5:20 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:27:52PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 14:00:31 +0800
> kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I plug in my usb flash drive to my desktop computer, I can edit
> > certain libreoffice calc files saved in that flash drive. But after I
> > try to copy several dbf files from the desktop computer hard drive to
> > the flash drive via the terminal, it says it's read only. When I open
> > the calc files again, they are now read only and cannot be edited.
>
> What file system is on the flash drive? What does gparted or parted
> report?
>
> Are the files marked read only (ro), or is the entire flash drive
> mounted ro?
>
> Are you editing the calc files from Linux or Windows?
>
> How, exactly, are you mounting the flash drive under Linux. What
> command?
>
> How long has this been going on?

What do the logs say? /var/log/syslog, or .../messages? Or however
systemd folks call that stuff these days).

If there's an event forcing the OS to put the file system in read-only
mode (e.g. write error), you will see traces of it in the system logs.

Cheers
 - t

What file system is on the flash drive? What does gparted or parted
report?
Gparted shows fat32 as the file system of the flash drive.

Are the files marked read only (ro), or is the entire flash drive
mounted ro?
The dbf files seem to be READ WRITE EXECUTE for OWNER, GROUP, and OTHER

Are you editing the calc files from Linux or Windows?
From Debian 10

How, exactly, are you mounting the flash drive under Linux. What
command?
I just insert the flash drive to the desktop computer and it mounts and is ready for use.
If it matters, here is the /etc/fstab
UUID=2E7B-BA02   /media/kaye   vfat     user,rw,noauto,uid=1000,gid=users,umask=0,dmask=0,fmask=0,users,exec,x-systemd.device-timeout=5s,   0    0

How long has this been going on?
Just last night

What do the logs say? /var/log/syslog, or .../messages?
I fail to open it