Re: sharing a network connection from debian to non-debian

On Lu, 25 ian 21, 09:32:01, Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 08:08:40 +0200
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Du, 24 ian 21, 14:05:07, Dan Hitt wrote:
> > >
> > > Now, i do not have a command 'nft', or at least, no place that i
> > > can find a path to it.   The man page for iptables-nft however
> > > lists your very command as an example, 'nft list ruleset'.  But i
> > > cannot find 'nft' anywhere in the filesystem (except as a directory
> > > in linux-headers-xxxx).
> >
> > It's part of package 'nftables' and should be installed in
> > /usr/sbin/. The package 'nftables' is a Recommends of 'iptables'.
> >

> > What is the output of?
> >
> >     apt-config dump | grep -i recommends
> >
> Many people don't install recommends automatically.

Sure, I do that myself for really, really small installs, with the
understanding that I have to deal myself with any issues that might
arise due to missing recommends.

> It doesn't get installed by default in anything before buster, so if
> you're running anything earlier (or sid), you need to install it
> manually. Also, an upgrade will not automatically switch to it from
> iptables, even when it is installed.

Quoting from APT's changelog:

    apt (0.7.0) experimental; urgency=low

      [...]
      * merged "install-recommends" branch (ABI break):
        - new "--install-recommends"
        - install new recommends on "upgrade" if --install-recommends is
          given
        - new "--fix-policy" option to install all packages with unmet
          important dependencies (useful with --install-recommends to
          see what not-installed recommends are on the system)
        - fix of recommended packages display (only show CandidateVersion
          fix or-group handling)
      [...]

     -- Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org>  Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:48:07 +0100

This change was documented in the Release Notes for squeeze (Debian
GNU/Linux 6.0, released in 2011), though it seems like it was already
included in lenny (released in 2009).

https://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#pkgmgmt

Kind regards,
Andrei