Re: debian-user list info and guidelines: spam

On 2021-01-25 08:56, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
Sometimes I get the impression that some economic actors hate mail
because it can't be fenced-off as easily as the "social" silos and
are doing their best to kill it.

A pity that pgp/gpg hasn't caught on better.

That comment led me to wonder about what contribution pgp/gpg might make to fighting spam. That led to pgp.mit.edu/faq.html, which has this ...

Q: I think spammers got my email address from the PGP keyserver. What can I do?
A: Yes, there have been reports of spammers harvesting addresses from PGP keyservers. Unfortunately, there is not much that either we or you can do about this. Our best suggestion is you take advantage of any spam filtering technology offered by your ISP.

... which of course brings us back to what triggered this thread. Now, I suspect IAC that addresses harvested from a PGP server would be unprofitable for a spammer, but do you have something operational in mind?

Kind regards,
John