Re: audio support in libvirt with qemu/kvm

Am Sonntag, 24. Januar 2021, 23:04:54 CET schrieb Linux-Fan:
> Rainer Dorsch writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I created a virtual machine using libvirt with qemu/kvm. To make it
> > simple, I installed a Debian 10 guest on a Debian 10 host. I am
> > wondering, if it is possible to access (pulse-)audio from the guest.
> >
> > Any hint or advice is welcome.
>
> For me it works out of the box in the way that I can hear sound played
> inside the VM and the VM can record from the microphone attached to the PC.
>
> In virt-manager it appears as "Sound ich9" device added to the respective
> VMs. Host and guest both use Pulseaudio. In case you do not use GUI, it
> might be enough to add the following device in the VM's XML:
>
>     <sound model='ich9'>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1b'
> function='0x0'/> </sound>
>
> I do not know if it can be made to work in a way that just a single pulse
> audio server is running -- in my configuration, the guest and host both have
> their respective pulse audio instances although the sound itself passes
> from the one to the other wihtout explicit configuration :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried again and it seems sound works now :-)

I also used virt-manager, but I did not find any sound devices in there. Are
you using Debian 10? virt-manager from stable or stable-backports? Where do
you see the "Sound ich9" device?

Thanks
Rainer
--