Re: audio support in libvirt with qemu/kvm

Rainer Dorsch writes:

Hi,

I created a virtual machine using libvirt with qemu/kvm. To make it simple, I
installed a Debian 10 guest on a Debian 10 host. I am wondering, if it is
possible to access (pulse-)audio from the guest.

Any hint or advice is welcome.

For me it works out of the box in the way that I can hear sound played inside the VM and the VM can record from the microphone attached to the PC. In virt-manager it appears as "Sound ich9" device added to the respective VMs. Host and guest both use Pulseaudio. In case you do not use GUI, it might be enough to add the following device in the VM's XML:

   <sound model='ich9'>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1b' function='0x0'/> </sound>

I do not know if it can be made to work in a way that just a single pulse audio server is running -- in my configuration, the guest and host both have their respective pulse audio instances although the sound itself passes from the one to the other wihtout explicit configuration :)

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö

[...]