Re: Help request installing wi-fi/video-card proprietary drivers [Debian 10 stable]

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:46:51AM +0100, uekilaw@libero.it wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to Linux (~1 year distro-hopping dual-booting with win10) and a week ago I decided to install Debian 10 stable over Manjaro on my laptop. After the first (unsuccessful) attempt on installing a non-free firmware-included unofficial iso (live), I managed to install the official live iso (kde flavour).
> Then I've followed the Debian wiki in order to install proprietary drivers.
> First my wireless network (Broadcom BCM43142), successfully installed, then I tried with my video card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M) and while failing in the first and second methods suggested in the wiki, it also gave me instability for the previously installed wifi drivers.
>
> Due to the several passages and fixes I've tried, I couldn't resume them all in the same post/email, so I would like to ask if this is the right format to ask for help or maybe an IRC contact would be more efficient.
>
> Thank you for being part of this wonderful project,
>
> M B

Would you be prepared to re-install Debian to sort out the problems?

This is complicated by the facts:
1. It's a Broadcom wifi card
2. You may not want to configure your desktop immediately
3. Without configuring a desktop, you don't have easy graphical tools to set
up the network.

Do you have a wired interface available to you - Ethernet?

If so, if you can use that to install with, that would make life significantly
easier. The steps below assume using wired to do the initial install and then
installing wifi later.

a.) Install using expert mode using the text installer.

This will ask you more detailed questions and allow you slightly more
flexibility.

b.) Do not install a desktop - unselect the Debian desktop option when offered
tasks to install. This will stop Nouveau being installed.

c.) Reboot

d.) If you want to use the nvidia proprietary drivers install them now

e.) Then use tasksel to install the desktop you want: this will work on top of
the NVidia drivers

f.) Install wifi firmware and set up wifi network

g.) Reboot and enjoy

If you've _only_ got wifi interface

i) Use the firmware .iso initially because that should have the Broadcom
firmware

ii) Drop out to a shell to install network-manager and wpasupplicant before exiting the install.

then follow the steps above.

All best,

Andy C.