Re: Backup debconf state

On 2021-01-19 16:09 +0100, Erwan David wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> If I want to be able to fast reinstall a debian after a crash, I
> already backup /etc (including /etc/apt), a file with the output of
> apt-show manual
> to get the list of manually installed packages, /etc, but It would be
> handy to have the state of debconf (with all the answers I already
> gave).
> Is a backup of /var/cache debconf sufficient for this ?

Yes, that should be enough.  Note that maintainer scripts which use
debconf should first consult the configuration files in /etc and only
fall back to the debconf database if those do not deliver the necessary
information.  That's why the debconf database is located under
/var/cache and not under /var/lib.

Cheers,
       Sven