Re: problem with wifi

On Ma, 19 ian 21, 02:51:21, Gareth Evans wrote:

> If the machine in question has a desktop environment and
> NetworkManager (or equivalent), doesn't /etc/network/interfaces (or
> interfaces.d) config override nm (etc)?

It should (barring misconfiguration).

> I thought without eg. connman, a dropped connection on a wifi NIC
> configured in /etc/network/interfaces would not automatically be
> re-established,

The physical WiFi connection is established and maintained by
wpasupplicant, which runs as a daemon and should reconnect as needed.

The major difference is the (lack of) convenience in switching between
and/or adding new networks.

> and that this config had to be removed (or commented-out) for
> something like NetworkManager or wicd to manage the connection, in the
> case of a DE.  Is that wrong?

There are different ways to prevent conflicts, the method you mentioned
being one of them.

As a general recommendation, pick one software to manage your network
interfaces and stick with it for everything. This tends to reduce
complexity and conflicts.

Technically it should be possible to have different softwares managing
different interfaces, though great care is needed so they don't trample
on each other's toes.

Kind regards,
Andrei