Some questions around needrestart utility

Hi,

Can someone explain me how needrestart (in interactive advanced mode) preselects services to be restarted  please? I mean when I launch it, only some services are preselected while others are not.So according to what criteria? Does it preselect those whose reboot has  less impact on the machine?

It seems to be a great utility (hook with dpkg and configurable).
Did you need some specific configuration or has it been working out of the box for you?

Do you have good reasons to use checkrestart instead (in package debian-goodies)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Best regards,
l0f4r0