Re: How to restore BIOS-based backup on a UEFI machine

On 2021-01-14 at 12:58, Tixy wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-01-14 at 11:15 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

>> Newer-model Intel chipsets specifically prohibit booting to
>> internal hard drives in "legacy boot" mode.
>
> Surely it isn't the chipset which determines what disk format you can
> boot from, it's the firmware.

I'd have thought so too, but the reading I did on this a while back
(after discovering that booting to MBR-based internal hard drives was
impossible on the newest computer models at my workplace) led me to
statements that firmware writers can't support this anymore, because
Intel's chipset implementation specifically does not let them do it.

In practice, now that I research this again in depth, not only can I not
find those statements again, all the reports of this behavior in the
real world seem to be on Dell computers. I remember finding it stated
that Dell had no choice in this because of what Intel had done, but I'm
not finding those again now.

I *do* find multiple statements that Intel is dropping all BIOS support
from its UEFI firmwares (including, presumably, those it creates with /
for its motherboard partners) by sometime in 2020, which has already
passed; it's possible that that might include this behavior, but I'm not
finding explicit statements of or reports about that just yet.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/intel-to-kill-off-the-last-vestiges-of-the-ancient-pc-bios-by-2020/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12068/intel-to-remove-bios-support-from-uefi-by-2020

--
   The Wanderer