How to restore BIOS-based backup on a UEFI machine

I backup my Buster server simply as a (compressed, encrypted) cpio archive.

Restoring it to a BIOS-based machine is simple: boot a rescue cd, partition the disk, restore all files, fix fstab if necessary, run update-grub and grub-install in a chroot environment.  That works.

But if the machine should some day die and I can only find/buy a UEFI-only machine to restore it to, how do I do that?  And are there any precautions I should take in advance (on the BIOS system, before creating backups that may be needed on a future UEFI system) in order to make it easier to restore to a UEFI machine?

(My knowledge of UEFI is almost non-existent, and my knowledge of grub is very limited.)

--
Jesper Dybdal
https://www.dybdal.dk