Re: Bullseye: setting and using $DISPLAY after su -

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 05:49:02PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 17:15:40 -0500
> Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> Also, if I want to run as root, I want access to all the rootty system
> administrator things like fdisk and fsck. Plain vanilla su leaves one
> with the unprivileged user's PATH.

Only since buster, and this is fixable.  Just create this file with this
content:

unicorn:~$ cat /etc/default/su
ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes

> > It's worth pointing out that even on buster, "su -" does in fact clear
> > the value of DISPLAY,

> Also on buster:

> charles@hawk:~$ su -
> Password:
>
> Today is Setting Orange, the 73rd of The Aftermath, 3186. All Hail Discordia!
> root@hawk:~# env | grep DISPLAY
> DISPLAY=:0

Clearly you're doing something special in root's .profile -- at the
very least, you're running that ddate command.  Is it possible you're
also hard-coding something like 'export DISPLAY=:0' there?

> root@hawk:~# xclock &
> [1] 3550
> root@hawk:~#
>
> (xclock ran successfully.)

Is it possible you also hard-coded something like
'export XAUTHORITY=/home/charles/.Xauthority' in root's .profile?