Re: Intermittent problem with integrated webcam / Thinkpad E130/ Stretch

On 1/4/21 1:00 PM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux e130 4.9.0-14-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.246-2 (2020-12-17) x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> 9.13
>
> $ inxi -M
> Machine:
>   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 33588QG v: ThinkPad Edge E130
>
> I have had a problem with having the integrated webcam to be recognized
> by various applications (cheese, Microsoft Teams [yes...], Zoom, etc).
> It does work sometimes and it doesn't at other times.
>
> I have various kernels installed (4.9.0-11-amd64 all the way through
> 4.9.0-14-amd64) and rebooting into each of these kernels won't make much
> difference.
>
> I have uninstalled, purged and reinstalled build-essential
> linux-headers-`uname -r` linux-image-amd64`uname -r` (for each of the
> kernel versions) and usbutils, and I have also uninstalled tlp, but it
> doesn't seems to make much difference.
>
> This is the full log of `dmesg|grep video` of today, when I had the last
> failure:
>
> https://paste.debian.net/plainh/1c22d1aa
>
> I can't upgrade to Debian stable for a number of reasons that it will
> take to long to explain and I have to stick with Stretch for the time
> being. I've only had this problem for the last 6 months, presumably
> after some upgrades.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Ottavio,

if the issue with your camera is a kernel thing then you can install
newer kernel from backports.

According to this page -

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linux

Linux  4.19.118 is available for Debian 9.

HTH

Kind regards
Georgi