Re: [SOLUTION] Re: Bullseye: setting and using $DISPLAY after su -

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 10:20:00AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> User's DISPLAY   not revealed
>
> After su         DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> (exit)
>
> User's DISPLAY   not revealed
>
> After su -       DISPLAY=:0

Well, that's pretty clear evidence that they're hard-coding the equivalent
of "export DISPLAY=:0" in one of the dot-files that "su -" reads but
which "su" does not.  The obvious candidate would be /root/.profile but
there are many other possibilities, up to and including some bizarre
pam_env.conf thing.

> As I pointed out, these values will both succeed in pointing to the
> same actual display (though I only tested that they both work on my
> own display, called ":0"). But they are textually "DIFFERENT", so
> they can't both be copied from the user's (unrevealed) value.

Yup.