Re: mdadm usage

On 30.12.2020 15:42, Thomas A. Anderson wrote:
it could all very well be, that I have borked these two drives. It's not
the end of the world, there was no data loss, and the data was already
transferred off of them. And, my lesson has been learned. RAID sounds
all good and dandy, and does provide some protection against data loss
caused by hardware failure.
It appears to be misconfigured, because at least partition type should be "fd". Not "83" as in your case, which looks like VMWare Storage partition type.
I'm not a VMWare expert so I can't give any advice here.
Now it looks like you've dealing with some advanced system configuration and virtualization, not with a simple one like plain hardware and 2 drives.

Which bring me to my final question, just for closure.

If hardware raid (like if I bought a controller), would it be any
different, if I removed the drives and just put on one another machine
-- would I be able to see the data on it like a normal drive? Or would I
run into the same issue??
The only advantage hardware raid controller (not a simple HBA) could offer is a performance. But it also adds an additional point of failure - the raid controller itself.
When hardware raid controller fails, in most cases, you have to replace it with the same model, or if same model won't be available due to EoL or discontinuity,
with a compatible one from the same make\brand, to reassemble RAID array on the drives and access data.
The trend of the industry seems to be going away from hardware raid solutions, replacing them with software defined solutions.

In case of software defined RAID, like "mdraid" or "Microsoft Storage Spaces", you can reassemble array and access data on another machine.
Speaking of "mdraid", with properly configured RAID1, you can even use a single drive from the array to access data on another machine.
If this will be a drive with working OS, it will boot up normally and report about degraded state of RAID1 array and about missing one (or more if it's a three-way mirror) of it's member drives.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org