mdadm usage

Hello,

I have been "using" mdadm to run software raid1 (stripping) on a file
server i have been running.

None of the drives have failed, and I have even setup subsequent drives
in the same scenario.

It is only now that I wonder if I am even using RAID1 properly? In other
words, now that I try to access

data on these two original drives on another system, I am unable to. I
assume it's possible (albeit doesn't seem intuitively simple -- at least
for me), makes me wonder if it's enen supposed to be used like this.

I had assumed I could swap the drive out, and access the data (like a
normal drive), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, I ask a more precise question: Is mdadm designed to be used on other
system, and simply access data?

Maybe I just need two drives, and just do a cron job to rysnc to backup
once a week or something.