Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

The Wanderer composed on 2020-12-26 18:44 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I suggest a good place to start would be to goto /etc/default/grub
>> and switch from whichever mode is employed to the other, either plain
>> text to graphical, or vice versa, then regenerate grub.cfg and try
>> booting.

> That's a good suggestion, except I don't see any way to do that in the
> /etc/default/grub I have.

> The closest thing I see is

> # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
> #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

> but that says it's for grub-pc only, i.e. the "legacy" version of grub,
> whereas I'm running grub2.

I know it says grub-pc only, but all mine are uncommented. And, all mine are on
UEFI installations. All my legacy BIOS installations boot from a custom partition
with Grub Legacy, which is used to boot every installation on the disk. It may be
that what it really means is: not arm*, not sparc, not mips, not ppc....

> A bit of Googling suggests that

> # The resolution used on graphical terminal
> # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
> # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
> #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

Mine all are GRUB_GFXMODE="auto", but I have no AMD anything newer than about 6
years old.

> also supports a value of 'text' rather than a FOOxBAR resolution, but I
> don't see that documented anywhere yet.

I think what you can do is create /etc/grub.d/05_do-text containing:

	cat <<EOF
	  set textmode=true
	  terminal_output console
	EOF

It may be sufficient with only the first of the two. Textmode can be made optional
via hotkey:

	cat <<EOF
	hiddenentry 'Text mode' --hotkey 't' {
	  set textmode=true
	  terminal_output console
	}
	EOF
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/