Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

The Wanderer writes:

On 2020-12-26 at 18:50, Linux-Fan wrote:

> Georgi Naplatanov writes:
>
>> On 12/27/20 12:19 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
>> > I have for some years been running Debian with an older model of AMD GPU
>> > (Radeon HD 6870) for graphics.
>> >
>> > I recently purchased a relatively recent model of GPU (Radeon RX 5700
>> > XT), and today swapped it in and attempted to boot with it.

>> > With the new GPU in place, I get video output during POST and in the
>> > BIOS (yes, this machine is old enough that it doesn't have a UEFI)
>> > without problems. That demonstrates that the GPU isn't dead on arrival,
>> > and that signal is getting through to the monitor on a basic level.
>
> Curious, what machine does not do UEFI yet but still benefits from large
> GPUs such as the RX 5700?

One I built from parts back when the 6870 was still in the sweet spot of
price vs. performance, with then-outsize specs in other regards,
including what was at the time the top-end non-server CPU in the world.
It's fallen well behind that standard, but is still far from the
bottleneck in my system.

The motivation for the GPU upgrade is that the card I have seems to be
literally the last model made that doesn't support the required baseline
for a game I've seen recommended. Based on the most recent
Linux-including reviews as of the time I made the choice, the 5700 seems
to be the current best option in terms of price vs. (performance /
future-proofing).

OK, that makes sense. I just wanted to ask because I was once in a similar situation. I had upgraded my venerable HP Z400 (Xeon W3550 -- not the fastet at the time) by adding a Radeon RX 570 to replace the previous Nvidia GTX 570 card and had... zero performance improvement in gaming because without me noticing this in other application contexts/earlier, the CPU had become the bottleneck :(

>> > Any suggestions for what to try?

[...]

All of those are part of what I expected to have to wrangle post-boot in
order to get things working. (I'm running Debian testing, for what
that's worth, so the kernel and so forth should already be new enough.)

[...]

I am out of ideas on this...

By my terminology, a Debian installer *is* a (special case of a)
live-boot environment. Which is not to say it would necessarily have
been my choice to test this, but it might.

[...]

I just wanted to point the installer out, because it might be more easily available (already existent on a medium?) and hence the easier test to do. Unlike many other live systems, its terminal-based UI may help rule out X11 problems (although as noted, they are obviously not the issue at hand...)

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö