Re: "Service restarts being deferred"

On Sun 20 Dec 2020 at 17:01:31 (+0100), Jesper Dybdal wrote:

> > >From the documentation of Automatic-Reboot, it only has effect for
> > updates that result in the /var/run/reboot-required file being created.
> >
> > For service restarts, the needrestart configuration would be a better
> > place to start.  The comments in /etc/needrestart/needrestart.conf are
> > instructive:
> >
> >      # do not restart oneshot services, see also #862840
> >      qr(^apt-daily\.service$) => 0,
> >      qr(^apt-daily-upgrade\.service$) => 0,
> >      qr(^unattended-upgrades\.service$) => 0,
> >
> >      # don't restart systemd-logind, see #798097
> >      qr(^systemd-logind) => 0,
> >
> > Do go through those bug reports and experiment at a safe time before
> > changing things here.
> Thanks.  Those bug reports explain why those services are not simply
> restarted, which seems very sensible.
>
> But the "deferred" restarts seem to be deferred indefinitely, until
> the next reboot.  So I still don't quite understand why an automatic
> reboot is not scheduled in order to get those services restarted.

I would presume a reboot is not scheduled because a reboot is not seen
as a requirement just to restart the odd service: there are separate
commands for that.

But I would also ask how the system is to determine a scheduled time
or occasion to restart services/reboot the system. What criteria, as
sysadmin, do you currently use to make those decisions for yourself?

> (Unless it is, strangely, the "Reboot with users" setting that has
> some influence here, even though there are no logged in users in my
> case.)

Cheers,
David.