Re: "Service restarts being deferred"

On 2020-12-19 21:05, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

Jesper Dybdal wrote:
I run Buster with unattended updates configured to allow reboots.

Sometimes after an update, the log contains:
Service restarts being deferred:
??systemctl restart systemd-logind.service
??systemctl restart unattended-upgrades.service

>From the documentation of Automatic-Reboot, it only has effect for
updates that result in the /var/run/reboot-required file being created.

For service restarts, the needrestart configuration would be a better
place to start.  The comments in /etc/needrestart/needrestart.conf are
instructive:

     # do not restart oneshot services, see also #862840
     qr(^apt-daily\.service$) => 0,
     qr(^apt-daily-upgrade\.service$) => 0,
     qr(^unattended-upgrades\.service$) => 0,

     # don't restart systemd-logind, see #798097
     qr(^systemd-logind) => 0,

Do go through those bug reports and experiment at a safe time before
changing things here.
Thanks.  Those bug reports explain why those services are not simply restarted, which seems very sensible.

But the "deferred" restarts seem to be deferred indefinitely, until the next reboot.  So I still don't quite understand why an automatic reboot is not scheduled in order to get those services restarted. (Unless it is, strangely, the "Reboot with users" setting that has some influence here, even though there are no logged in users in my case.)

--
Jesper Dybdal
https://www.dybdal.dk