"Service restarts being deferred"

I run Buster with unattended updates configured to allow reboots.

Sometimes after an update, the log contains:

Service restarts being deferred:
 systemctl restart systemd-logind.service
 systemctl restart unattended-upgrades.service

I don't understand why these services are not restarted, if necessary through a reboot.

I want my system to be able to run truly unattended for a long time, so necessary restarts should be done without waiting for manual intervention.  And if the restarts are not necessary, why are they there at all, though deferred?

So what have I misunderstood?

--
Jesper Dybdal
https://www.dybdal.dk