adding a disk to a Volume group

hello,
It's a more or less new bullseye installation.
The installer kindly set up a Volume Group and added Logical Volumes of a couple of the partitions on the disk with the OS on it.
I want to add another disk to use for data.
Not had anything to do with LVM.
I'll want to make an extended partition of the whole disk first with fdisk.
but not sure the order I need to do things in after that.
Can see what VG is called with "vgdisplay"
will "vgextend my_VG /dev/sdx1"
sort out making the Physical Volume and the Logical Volume ?
I don't want to end up making 2 Volume Groups or something daft.
Is there any difference making the ext4 filesystem on the /dev/VG/LV or /dev/sdx1 ?

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31